Monday, January 22, 2007

Blaming the Media : Music

Ah, yes the media. The media, in my opinion, is to blame for many of our problems in today's society. But since the media is a very general term, I'll start with the type that is most common with teenagers.

Music isn't like how it used to be. It's churned out constantly by corporations and is heavily processed in post production.(The Paris Hilton Album, if you can even call that music. D=)

Post production does amazing thing nowadays. They can make people look absolutely beautiful, (Photoshop and using the correct lighting is important ^^) and they make people sound simply amazing. (though...I have no idea how they do that. Someone enlighten me.)

I have very little experience in other types music so the only thing I can draw comparisons is in rap music. The unconditional hatred of rap music today by many people is understandable. Many of the verses rappers use are barely comprehensible.

For Example,

"Verse number 2 do the damn thang keeps on my neck pocket's full of Ben Franks."
-Yung Joc, "It's Goin' Down."

New rappers saying absolutely nothing.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses can't define how I be dropping these mockeries, lyrically performed armed robbery, flee with the lottery, possibly they spotted me"
- Inspecta Deck (Wu Tang) "Triumph"

Obviously, old school rappers have far more artistic merit than what's coming out today.

Now for the underground.

"Using numerology to count the people I sent to Heaven
Produces more digits than 22 divided by 7"
- Immortal Technique "Unknown Track"

It's true that rap music barely sends a message but I'm not going to debate the validity of the music. Immortal Technique is what one could call a political rapper. He's by far one of the best underground artists out there.

Anyways, like I said before, I don't know much about any other type of music but if you are willing to take your time to contact me and discuss music with me. Maybe I'll open my tastes a bit. ^^ (I need someone to examine all the other musical genres for me)

Anyways, what music is doing to today's generation is saying that money, cars, women and how tough and thuggish you can be is more important than being intelligent and being a decent person.

3 comments:

Fenrir said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune - This is how they fix their voices.

You missed that other currently-popular facet of music: "Emo" and similar styles of music.

Next blog perhaps?

MichaelN said...

Well, I did say I was inexperienced with other styles of music. So I need someone else to help me with that.

Unknown said...

Everything you said is true. In today's age, the quality of music has dropped considerably. Individual artists and groups no longer take as much effor to fulfill the musical needs of their base fans. Which prompts them to sell out. In the corporate world, some artists are like a barrell of water filled a quarter way through. Let me enlight you in my analogy. A new and upcoming rapper trying to make it big, is like a barrel full of water. Once they blow up, it is like someone plucked a hole near the bottom of the barrel. You'll notice water shooting out prefusily, this water represents the effort and talent they put into their work. Eventually the water starts squirting out with less force and velocity. This shows you the quality in their music is going down. Once the water stops coming out completely it is as if they sold out entirely.(Ex. people claim that groups like Mobb Deep, Green Day, and Snoop Dogg circa 2001-2005).
Sorry if there was any confusion in my analogy. Nowadays people only make what sells. Hence the rise in more poppish/party rap and rock songs. As of right now, Heavy Metal is almost dead since it's decline in the 90's. Hopefully there will be a rejuvenation of the old times or the music we love will die out entirely.