It's discouraging that many of today's youth simply refuse to read. Though I am a youth, I do like to read. But when I talked to my friend the other day, I realized what a sorry state we are in.
My friend is the stereotype of what many would call a "gangsta." He's a pretty cool person and all, Likes video games, plays basketball, watches whatever anime I would force on him. =D
The conversation went like this,
(Censoring part of my friend's name for his privacy)
dope boi ****: sup wit chu?
Insane Choaz: reading a bit
Insane Choaz: looking around the internet
dope boi ****: readin
dope boi ****: wat da f***
dope boi ****: no...............
dope boi ****: no................
(At this point I was a little surprised, hoping this was a joke I said-)
Insane Choaz: yo?
dope boi ****: i dont think u should read it makes u think
Insane Choaz: How so?
dope boi ****: it makes ya head hurt
(I was disturbed how my friend could think this way. So I made up an excuse to get away from him)
Insane Chaoz: I gotta go eat dinner
dope boi ****: iight
It's sad how society is starting to think that reading is now a bad thing. But it's even worse that now thinking is something that isn't valued anymore. This is what our future, a society of people who no longer values knowledge but opposite. It values ignorance.
Monday, January 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You are so right, it seems like with todays society comes laziness and lust for materialistic things. With so many oppurtunities and roads to different careers, people don't find the necessity of reading, math, history etc. Depending on the lifestyle you desire. No one wants to think anymore, they just want to have fun. But eventually there will come a time in life where making judgements and decisions will play a huge factor. Hopefully if their flaws are prominent, they can learn from their mistakes.
Yeah, I agree with this. People in my English class, 10th and 11th graders, have trouble spelling simple words like "the" or "you". =/ Most likely because of the use of dialect in the music they listen to, but, I'm not going to blame it on the music alone. People are completely ignorant of what they need to learn. They pick up some things, but still fail to do what they need to do and consider it "Okay". Then fail the high school exit exam thinking "What the hell?"
You are completely right, today most people only care about just passing by in school. I'm guessing this is how our society dies, with the decline of intrest our past, as well as reading. Not to mention that the people that do care about reading and learning in school to create a better future are being mocked by their peers. With this way of thinking, i have no doubt that our society will take a turn for the worst
Post a Comment